Information for Providers
Let's work together
My services can complement and build upon the Type 1 diabetes care you offer in your practice. I offer in-person and secure remote video visits. As a Nurse Practitioner with over a decade of clinical experience in ambulatory diabetes care, my approach is evidence-based medicine with a lot of genuine enthusiasm and empathy mixed in.
Who might benefit?
- Are newly diagnosed and need intensive, Type 1-specific education
- Have recently started a continuous glucose monitor (CGM)
- Would like intensive help with exercise management to minimize hypoglycemia
- Are on a pump and need support using it safely and effectively
- Are in college and experiencing gaps in care or are transitioning from pediatric to adult care
- Could benefit from more time and teaching than your team is able to offer
What do I offer?
- Blood glucose and CGM pattern review
- Management of insulin dosing for injections, pump regimens, and closed-loop systems
- In-depth education on all facets of T1DM management
- Structured goal-setting and accountability
- A supportive environment conducive to learning and problem-solving
How do we work together as providers?
Patients will continue to see you as their primary diabetes provider and prescriber, and no major changes to therapy or regimen (e.g. pump, CGM, new insulins) will ever be made without your approval.
I am a solo operation without staff, so prescriptions, prior authorizations, school and workplace paperwork, and emergency after-hours management are respectfully deferred to the systems with support staff. However if urgent prescription needs for insulin or supplies arise during a visit, I am happy to write for a short-term refill.
You can expect transparency and clear communication from me.
What's the referral process?
No formal referral is required unless stipulated by your patient's insurance; those with Type 1 who are interested may schedule with me directly via the website.
Which insurance do you accept?
I currently accept Premera and Lifewise insurance plans. Additional insurance panels will be added in Spring and Summer 2018.
Group Health/Kaiser Permanente, Seattle, WA 2016-17
Seattle Children's Hospital, Seattle, WA 2007-2016
Franciscan Health/Practice of Shaista Quddusi, MD, Federal Way, WA 2006-2007
MSN, BSN Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing, Baltimore MD
BA Brown University, Providence RI
ANCC-certified Family Nurse Practitioner since 2005
BC-ADM (Board Certified Advanced Diabetes Management) credential from American Association of Diabetes Educators
Karen Aitken ARNP, BC-ADM
Phone: (206) 207-7680
Fax: (888) 975-2804